An arctic cold front is heading towards the Coastal Bend, and a hard freeze is expected Friday and Saturday morning, where some places could dip below freezing for 4 to 8 hours. As the region forecasts freezing temperatures, here’s what local towns and schools are doing to prepare.
School closures, delays
- Brooks County DSI announced a staggered return to Friday. A final decision to cancel classes will be made by the end of the school day on Thursday.
The City of Corpus Christi will open warming centers to help residents stay comfortable during cold temperatures. Warming centers include:
- Broadmoor Senior Center, 1651 Tarlton St.
- Ethel Eyerly Senior Center, 654 Graham Rd.
- Owen R. Hopkins Library, 3202 McKinzie Road.
- Ben F. McDonald Library, 4044 Greenwood Dr.
- La Retama Library, 805 Comanche St.
Their opening hours will be Thursday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority will provide free transportation to and from warming centers.
The city is working with homeless shelters and other city agencies to ensure shelter, meals and blankets are provided to those in need.
City staff will provide blankets, socks, hats and information on where homeless people can find shelter, and the Gulf Coast Humane Society offers to house homeless people’s pets according to the needs.
The following shelters will also provide services:
- The Salvation Army
Increase capacity by opening the Center for Hope church sanctuary at 1902 Buford St. Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 4 p.m.
- The Good Samaritan Rescue Mission
Provide shelter for people in need at 210 S. Alameda Street.
- The Mother Teresa Shelter
Will be open Thursday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. for meals and shelter at 513 Sam Rankin Street. Will also be open on Saturday daytime as a heated shelter.
- Subway Ministries
Will serve lunch and dinner as part of their normal weekday operations. They will open the cafeteria at 9 a.m. as a warm-up center on Thursday and Friday.